Whitworth Community High School recognises that many of its students, visitors and staff (whether disabled or otherwise), have individual needs when using school and its facilities. We also recognise that for some students, the nature of their disabilities may mean that they experience specific difficulties related to accessing education, and the physical environment. As part of our ongoing commitment to the delivery of an inclusive education we will endeavour to ensure that disabled students receive the highest possible standard of education.
Whitworth Community High School will:
- Inform all staff that our policy for the provision of education ensures the inclusion of disabled students. Such communications will address the legal obligation of staff and the school.
- Provide appropriate disability awareness training for staff, which explains the school policy towards disabled students and the effective implementation and monitoring of it.
- Address acts of disability discrimination via existing conduct codes, where appropriate.
In order to ensure that Whitworth Community High School effectively meets the needs of disabled students, we will:
- Consult with disabled students, parents, staff and disability organisations. This work begins as soon as a place is being considered, in Year 5.
- Work with individuals to plan an effective and appropriate education programme.
- Support students in classes and provide additional support with homework and coursework.
- Plan to make access improvements to enable disabled students to use our school; furthermore, the school will effectively communicate their availability to both students and staff.
- Regularly review whether our education provision (and other) services are both accessible and effective and take appropriate action.
- Monitor the implementation and effectiveness of our policy and practices on a regular basis.
- Operate an accessible complaints procedure whereby disabled people can make improvement suggestions and request assistance.
If you wish to speak to a member of our staff about our work with students who have additional needs please contact Ms S Davies